Don’t just live Here. Flourish.
There’s so much to do here, you’ll be hard-pressed to be a homebody. You can take a painting class or sharpen your skills in our well-equipped woodworking shop. Some days, you’ll want to relax by the fire with your favorite book, or perhaps watch a movie in our stadium-seat theater. Like living in a college town, Southminster stresses lifelong learning and offers engaging lectures on the arts, history, and culture. We also take many trips to area and regional attractions, and help you strengthen social bonds, make new friends, and use your gifts by volunteering.
Find out what appeals to you, and flourish. Start by joining one of our resident committees. Here you’ll develop relationships with other residents, form lasting friendships and work collaboratively toward the betterment of your community, focusing on the lifestyle issues that mean the most to you. But don’t stop there. There’s plenty more to keep you informed, involved and stimulated.
- Modern fully-equipped Wellness Center
- Indoor heated pool w/whirlpool and dry sauna
- Exercise gym and aerobics room
- Air-pressured controlled Kaiser strength equipment
- Private spa rooms
- Stadium-seat theater
- Billiards room
- Card and game rooms
- Woodworking shop
- Art gallery and painters’ studio
- Arts and crafts workshop
- Ecumenical chapel
- The Encore Store (resident managed thrift store)
- Multi-purpose event rooms
- Private conference rooms
- Full service Salon*
*Contracted service provider – fee for service
- Flexible dining plan
- Formal and casual full-service dining in
The Promenade Room and Oak Leaf Grille
- Private dining rooms
- Pub 87 – a fully licensed bar
- Take out service
Every aspect is designed to help you live healthy and well.
Aging is inevitable, but doesn’t have to mean growing old, burdened by unnecessary health challenges.
Embrace Wellness will put you on the path to remaining strong and fit at any age. Our staff will personally assess your strengths and needs, then work alongside you as your coach developing and helping you implement a personalized wellness blueprint for the rest of your life. With convenient access to our modern and spacious wellness center, you’ll find new ways to remain active, energetic, healthy and well.
Unrivaled in both equipment and the expertise of its instructors, the wellness center provides year-round therapy and exercise with its impressive indoor heated pool, whirlpool, and dry sauna. Add to it Keiser and NuStep strength-training and fitness equipment and workouts become safe, effective and easy.
Embrace Wellness represents the very best in equipment, amenities, ambience and staff.
- Heated indoor pool
- Whirlpool tub and dry sauna
- Exercise gym with air-pressure controlled Kaiser-strength equipment, cross-trainers, treadmills, recumbent exercise cycles, and elliptical trainers
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms with private showers
- Private massage therapy room
- Aerobics exercise room
- Personal wellness assessments
- Nutritional counseling
Wellness classes offered:
- Water aerobics
- Tai Chi & Nia
- Cardio & Balance
- Strength & Stretch
- Standing and seated Yoga
- Low impact aerobics
- Meditation & Relaxation
Additional wellness services:
- Spiritual support
- Nutritional counseling
- Wellness clinic
- Massage therapy*
*Contracted provider – fee for service
Convenience services included in monthly fee
- Weekly housekeeping
- Linen service
- All utilities (cottage residents pay gas/electric utilities)
- Wireless Internet service
- Local phone service and voice mail service
- Basic cable television
- Dining allowance
- In-residence communication system with 24-hour in-house information
- Routine home maintenance and repairs
- Grounds keeping and lawn care
- Embrace Wellness exercise classes and use of wellness center
- Scheduled shopping and medical transportation
- Community cultural, recreational events, activities and day trips (some may require additional charge)
- Southminster sponsored educational programs
- Emergency call system
- 24-hour security
- Reserved surface parking space
- Chaplain services
Services provided for an additional fee
- Long distance phone service
- Upgraded cable television
- Garage parking
- Dentistry, podiatry and lab services*
- Salon and spa services including manicures, pedicures, body massage, and facials*
- Additional housekeeping
- Personal transportation
- Meal delivery and/or additional meals
- Guest apartment
- Catering and private events
*Contracted provider – fee for service
Celebrate great food with friends and family. Our restaurants offer an indulgent selection of authentic southern and international cuisine. Fresh, and locally sourced ingredients are creatively prepared contributing to good health and wellness by our award-winning team.
The past, present and future, come together in a celebration of the dining experience in this magnificent dining room. Award winning cuisine, delectable desserts, and a more formal atmosphere are daily events.
Oak Leaf Grille
Casual and relaxed, the Grille offers a full menu of great-tasting options and a la carte choices of fresh local fare. Gather around a big table with friends and break bread, or have an intimate meal together.
A popular gathering spot to join friends before dinner and catch up on the days events. Complementing our dining experiences, Pub 87 offers a stimulating ambience for meeting friends and enjoying your favorite beverage.
Meet our Executive Chef Ryan Forte
Chef Ryan Forte’s devotion to serving people food they love seems to be in his DNA. His father ran a pizzeria, and young Ryan accepted the challenge of making the homemade pasta. As he interacted with his dad and the restaurant’s customers, he learned the importance of creating menus using fresh ingredients and developed a passion for flavor innovation.
After earning his culinary and applied science degree as a member of Johnson & Wales’ first Charlotte graduating class, his resume and skills grew rapidly. In addition to serving as a chef for the Westin Hotel’s Ember Grill, he was both executive chef and general manager at Braswell’s restaurant.
Today, as an active member of the Piedmont Culinary Guild, Ryan continues Southminster’s tradition of creating menus that use the freshest locally sourced ingredients, many grown in our own garden. With menus that change daily and offerings made from scratch, he leads a highly accomplished culinary team dedicated to providing residents of Southminster the finest dining experience.